Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

At my church, the practice of giving something up for Lent is a voluntary decision.  I never really observed it growing up, but have since reconnecting with church after my college organized religion hiatus.  I've always given up Coke, Dr. Pepper and all sugary, carbonated forms of deliciousness.  My body has always been pleasantly surprised come Easter.  Apparently, not enough to actually make me give them up forever.  Life is WAY too short to not enjoy soda.  Not diet.  Not half-ass diet.  And certainly not soda with gimmicky flavors.  Full strength real stuff.  With real sugar if available (shout out, Dublin Dr. Pepper!).

It would be a lot easier to cheat or at least opt out of the soda-drought if not for my husband.  He's all good and determined.  He eats a salad and mixed fruit for lunch.  He can say things like, "I'm just going to have to cut out snacking after dinner."  And he'll actually follow through with it.  He and my conscience mean that in a few weeks I'll be sitting in the hospital with my newborn son, smiling at him and giving him a million kisses and telling him that I'm such a lucky, lucky girl to have two perfect kids.  And ice cold Coke.  And possibly a chocolate bunny.

-m

1 comment:

  1. You are so good. I too gave up chocolate and sodas for Lent. Then the little bunny got an ear infection and slept for 9 hours in 3 days, so I fell off the caffeine drink wagon. Hard.

    ReplyDelete